Thursday, January 31, 2008

FO: Yellow Hat

Cross posted at Sally Comes Unraveled and Year Long Gift-A-Long.

Well, at least it fits my big fat head.

You've got to love a hat that can be finished in 24 hours. (Well, technically it was more like 30 hours.) I'm a little worried that it's too big. It was hard to tell on the needles. Now that it's off the needles, I'm also worried about it being too short. The thing is that I didn't want the brim to be flipped up, sort of like a beanie.

Technically, this may not be a Christmas gift. It may end up being sold at a craft show, on Etsy or at the next Fiber Friends Festival. Either way, I think it qualifies for the Year Long Gift-A-Long's quarterly challenge, because it still isn't due until December. If all else fails, it fits me. (And big heads run on both sides of my family.)

I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Astrakhan in 31007 and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky in 16016 and US Size 10 bamboo dpns. It took slightly less than one skein of Superchunky and only about one half of a skein of Astrakhan.

I improvised the design, roughly estimating circumference. I double stranded the Astrakhan and did seed stitch on the first round to prevent it from flipping up. (I think it worked.) The rest is in stockinette. The decreases were also done without much planning. I thought I cast on 68 stitches, but as I decreased the numbers didn't add up. I don't think it matters though.

Hooray for big fat yarn, big fat needles and big fat heads.

No comments: