Tuesday, August 28, 2007

FO: Boogie Time

I checked with the ladies at Stash and Burn said I could enter something in the one skein contest even if I started it before the contest began. (I finished it in the allotted time period.)

So I present, Boogie Time, a project I didn't get done in time for the Knitty Calendar Contest.

This used less than a skein. Waaaayy less than a skein. In fact, it took the leftovers from another one skein project.

I had a tiny bit of Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb in "Watercolor" leftover. This was very coveted yarn, and I wanted to make the most of it. I watch face was on sale at Joann.

I decided this was the time to finally learn Magic Loop.

Personally, I've used dpns from the beginning. In fact, I tend to use them when normal people use circulars. And my Mom agreed with me: all that extra cable? What's the point? But I wanted to challenge myself. So I got out some long circulars and some acrylic and tried it out.

I got the hang of it. I think I'll try it some more. It is good for hats, sleeves and other things that require changing to shorter needles.

(I think it would have been easier if I'd followed the directions and steamed the cables first.)

I was going to use magic loop for the whole thing, but I had trouble getting a good gauge....












So I switched back to dpns, because I didn't have the size I needed in circulars. (These are size 3 dpns. I know, my gauge is huge.)

So I completely changed the pattern because I was using a completely different gauge. And my wrists are so tiny. But I liked it, and I may make more for gifts.

And the best part....


There's still some leftover.

1 comment:

KnittySue said...

I tried Magic Loop once and went back to my DPN's. It was just too much hanging needles and fiddling for me. Good luck
I listed your site on mine as I visit quite often.
OH and if it wern't for the armholes being real loose that tank is really nice on you.