Monday, August 13, 2007

FO: My first Knitty submission - Purple Waves scarf

I was looking for more FOs to put on Ravelry when I cam across some early (circa 2005) Knitty submissions I made.

It's amazing how much I've grown as a knitter since then. I can clearly see why this was not "Knittyworthy." It's not all that interesting, the pictures aren't very good and borrowing from a Lion Brand pattern (credited or not) is not the same as borrowing from a Barbara Walker treasury. (BTW - I've noticed citing Barbara Walker stitch patterns in acceptable and somewhat common on Knitty.)

I decided to put this one out as a "freebie." Whether it's a "pattern" is debatable, but is still makes a nice little scarf.

I'm officially "citing" Lion Brand's "Catch the Wave" afghan as inspiration for this pattern. It's a free pattern, and I'm not getting any money off this (and it's a readily available free pattern) I'm going to go ahead and "publish" it.

So here it is, in original "Knitty" form:

Purple Waves
by Sally Villarreal
Tangy

While I was home visiting my family in Texas, my friend and I visited a local yarn store. Since my home in Florida is a good hour and half away from a good yarn store, I wanted to buy something, but I didn't have a lot of money to spend. I settled for three hanks of Berroco Cotton Twist in varying shades of purple. Somewhere in between the yarn store and the time I arrived back home, I decided I wanted to make scarf with wavy stripes. After surfing the net I found a pattern for the “Catch the Wave” afghan on Lion Brand Yarn’s website. I converted the pattern to a scarf and Purple Waves was born.

Photos by Sally Villarreal

SIZE
One Size Fits All

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
Length: 64 inches
Width: 2.75 inches

MATERIALS

Berroco Cotton Twist [70% Mercerized Cotton, 30% Rayon ; 85yd/78m per 50g skein]
[A] 8342: Sweet Violet; 1 skein
[B] 8328: Amethyst; 1 skein
[C] 8327: Dowager; 1 skein

1 set US #7/4.5mm straight needles

Yarn Needle for weaving in ends, T-pins for blocking

GAUGE
16 sts/24 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch

PATTERN NOTES
For most of the scarf you will be repeating these two pattern rows over. and over again.
Row 1: k2, k2tog, k2, 2 kfb, k3,, sl1, k1, psso, k2
Row 2: k2, p11, k2

When complete, you will have 39 stripes. The A, B and C color pattern will repeat 13 times.

PATTERN

Scarf
Cast on 15 sts in Color A.
Knit two rows
Then, repeat pattern rows 1 and 2 three times.
Change to Color B and work pattern rows 1 and 2 four times.
Change to Color C and work pattern rows 1 and 2 four times
Continue working pattern rows 1 and 2 four times and changing from Color A to Color B to Color C every 8 rows, until you have 39 stripes.
On the final stripe, in Color C, one work the two pattern rows 3 times, then knit the last two rows.
Bind Off.

FINISHING
Weave in the loose ends.
Block by using the T-pins to pin the scarf flat to a towel (You may need to put a couple of towels end to end to have enough length.) Spray with cool water and allow the scarf to dry overnight.

ABOUT THE DESIGNER
Sally Villarreal learned to knit and crochet from her mother in the third grade. She has been crocheting off and on since then, but recently picked up knitting for the first time in many years in January 2005.
Sally lives in Avon Park, Florida with her pet rabbit, Bunny Foo-Foo. She is a reporter for a local newspaper.

(FYI - I no longer live in Avon Park, but I thought it would be interesting to include my old "bio")

No comments: