Monday, January 5, 2009

I can haz Crockpot!

<span class=

I can cook!

My New <span class=

After I helped some friends make "stoop" for a church event (it's half stew, half soup and 100% delicious!) and reading A Year of CrockPotting, I was inspired to ask for one for Christmas. I liked the idea of coming home to a hot meal.

I never cook because I have to do all the work after I come home from work, when I'm tired and hungry. With a Crockpot, I can do most of the prep the night before, dump it all in first thing in the morning and eat when I get home.

Taco Soup Ingredients

I decided to start with Taco Soup. This recipe makes 10-12 servings. Now I wanted leftovers, but I thought this was overkill. So here's what I put in my soup:
1 pound of cooked ground beef
Dash of pepper
1/2 package of ranch seasoning
1/2 package of taco seasoning
1 can of corn (plus a little bit I had leftover from Bill Miller earlier last week.)
1 can of pinto beans
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
cheddar cheese to put on top
You're supposed to blend the tomatoes, but since I have no blender, I decided to have chunkier soup.

I mixed most of the ingredients in tubs ahead of time so I didn't have much to do in the morning. This is what it looked like before I left for work:

Taco Soup


And this is what it looked like when I got home:

Taco Soup


Because I cut down the recipe, I was a little worried about overcooking. But it did just fine, except for the edges of one or two tomatoes. Good enough for me.

Soup's On

It was just what I hoped for. A hot, satisfying meal as soon as I got home.

Leftover Taco Soup

And there were leftovers. If it freezes well, I'll probably make the full recipe next time.

Dishes

Of course, I still have to do the dishes.

No comments: