Thursday, January 29, 2009

Knitting, knitting everywhere, but not a stitch to knit

I've been in a bit of a knitting funk since I finished the One Day Beret. I have several WIPs on Ravelry, but none quite have mojo at the moment.

I was in the hospital when the latest Knitty came out, so I don't think I ever took a good look. But now that the surprises are out, I'm dreaming about sweaters again. I'm in love with the Montera coat.

This has happened before. I haven't even bought the yarn for Morrigan, and it's been a year and a half. Also, it's been a year, I haven't gotten past the swatch for Candy. (I finally moved it to "hibernate" in Ravelry.)

But this may be it. I may finish this one. The gauge is 3.5 stitches per inch, so even though it's long, it shouldn't be too terribly slow.

In my diminished financial state, my yarn choices are limited. I'd love to use Dream in Color Groovy, but I can't afford it. I'm thinking KnitPicks Swish Bulky or Valley Yarns Colrain. I'm leaning towards Colrain because the tencel should add some strength.

I'm even considering Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky, but I'm wondering if I really want to commit to a project this big in 80% Acrylic. At least I like Wool Ease Chunky.

However you slice it, I'm going to have to wait until I start. I'm not going to order a sweater's amount of anything before I swatch.

In the meantime, I'll be looking at my WIPs. Or at least free patterns and my own stash.

No comments: