Last I week I broke out the "Reeling Machine" (a.k.a. swift) that I got for Christmas.
I had planned to set it up either on my coffee table or on the "bar" around my kitchen. However, both were too thick for the clamp. Instead, I set it up on a clutter-filled table. (Eventually, I'll clean it up and taking all that stuff to recycle. I'm working on the bedroom right now.)
This is the skein of Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb "Black Purl" that I bought on eBay. I wanted to make something quick and easy with really nice yarn. I found this skein while I was cleaning up, and I decided it was perfect.
The swift made winding the yarn much easier. No tangles.
I'm making the One Day Beret. So far, it's taking much more than a day, although it's still going quickly. The pattern is a "recipe" that can be used with any weight of yarn. I bet a chunkier yarn would have gone faster.
I presented the unfinished beret to my friend for her birthday. As you can see, it was the size of a small yarmulke when I gave it to her.
At her birthday party we watched Iron Jawed Angels. It's all about the women's suffrage movement. I highly recommend it, even if you aren't a Women's Studies major. (I have a Women's Studies minor.)
Anyway, I got involved in the movie and I increased until the beret was more than 8.5 inches in diameter. I debated unraveling it, but I decided The extra inch or so wouldn't be a big deal.
Here's where I am this evening. Hopefully I can make this a one week beret.