Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Things that cut into my yarn budget: Being responsible with my tax refund

After much flipping through paperwork,deciding to file online, looking up pin numbers, deciding not to file online, etc, I got my taxes done. I'm getting back about $400, which will go towards...

(dramatic pause)

...the dentist. I still have dental work that I've been putting off until my insurance rolls over. (Or it might go towards health insurance deductible. Whatever I have to pay for after my FSA runs out.)

I was hoping that I could use some of it for a washer and dryer, but it doesn't look good. It doesn't look like any of that will even be going into the savings, much less to buy yarn.

More Big Girl Knits

In other deprivation responsible news, More Big Girl Knits is on the shelves, and I have not bought it yet. I did stop Borders to take a look, and there they were (on the top shelf, so I had to ask an associate for help), two crisp, clean copies. Of course, I didn't have my camera, there are hardly and pictures on Ravelry and I still can't download pictures from my new camera phone, so I don't have any pictures to show you.

Definitely the must knit item for me was the Susie Hoodie, which is eerily similar to A Cardigan for Arwen. I've looked at several cabled hoodies, including Mariah, Central Park Hoodie and A Cardigan for Arwen, but I have been too lazy busy to adjust the patterns to fit me.

Modular Spirals also looks good, except for the curly edges, and the low cut neckline. There's nothing wrong with low cut necklines, I just don't know how much I would wear something like that.

The cover sweater looks nice. So nice that I wish I designed it myself. There's also another modular knit called "Pastille" (I think) that looks good, except I'd want bolder colors with more contrast. The Summer Chevron also looks like a nice quick knit, but again, I'd want different colors. I also like the fact that there is a Boo, Too has been rewritten with larger sizes than the original.

Contest

If you're poor like me, you can visit Cass Knits and enter her contest for a free copy of More Big Girl Knits.

No comments: