I knit and I crochet, but I've been much more focused on knitting recently in the last few years. In fact, everyone seems to be more focused on knitting. I think it's a marketing thing.
In my case, I think it's because I took a longer break from knitting than I did crochet, and knitting still seems "new." It's about time that I picked up my hook again. Here are some free patterns that are inspiring me.
All pictures used with permission. Sorry I'm late tonight.
1. Baby Alligator by Hannah Kaminsky
Example crocheted by Hannah.
2. One Skein Scarf by Denise Cozzitorto
Example crocheted by Jo in Lang Yarns Silk Dream - 0020.
3. Wavelength Scarf by Dawn Ellerd
Example crocheted by Dawn in Noro Kuyeron Sock - 95.
4. Isar Scarf by Julia Vaconsin. (Available as a free Ravelry download.)
Example crocheted by Julia in Handmaiden Sea Silk - Blackberry.
5. Ziggy Lace Scarf by Paula Fisher
Example crocheted by Paula in Knit Picks Shadow - Lost Lake Heather (double stranded.)
6. Chevron by Becky Hargis
Example crocheted by Becky in Moda Dea Washable Wool.
7. Brown Sugar Bag by Josie J. Walker. I really like this one because there are so many possibilities.
Example crocheted by Jennifer in Patons SWS (Soy Wool Stripes) - Natural Geranium.
8. Simply Diamonds Shawl by Rita Nici
Example crocheted by Rita in Lana Gatto (light fingering.)
9. Miggin's Mittens by Lotty Farebanks
Example crocheted by nup in Noro Silk Garden.
10. Divine Hat by Rheatheylia
Example crocheted by Danna in Red Heart Soft Yarn - Paprika.
Edited on 8/7/08 to add more pictures.