Thursday, May 1, 2008

Do you have the time to listen to me whine?

About nothing and everything all at once.

I know I've seen this music video before, but this song hits even closer to home now that I've seen it again.



I haven't had much time to knit and spin recently. Here is what I have been working on.

Last weekend I spent the second Saturday in a row going through the stuff in my storage unit. It was hard because I basically had to relive the last ten years. I recycled a lot of paper. When I quit my first job out of college in 2005 (this is two jobs ago, basically) I cleaned out my desk and put everything in a storage bin, and didn't open it again until Saturday. I found food in there (including a tuna kit like this one.) I also found 50 or so used dictation tapes that I dumped in the trash. I know it's not environmentally sound, but it was a freeing experience.

Monday was my company's first day in a new building. The move went smoothly, and made me realize that my happiness at a job tends to be inversely proportional to the amount stuff at my desk. Besides my phone and computer, everything in my desk fit in one small box with room to spare.

I had a bit of a Milton style "I believe you have my stapler" crisis because I couldn't find my chair. Apparently, it ended up in the dumpster. I think they thought they were doing me a favor by getting rid of my old chair and giving me a newer one. However, my new chair was broken. After my coworker attempted to help me fix it, a poached an unclaimed chair.

Of course, I had all this time to deal with my chair because the system was down until almost 12:30. Ironically, my computer was working just fine until they tried to "fix" the network because some people weren't up and running. I had forgotten my knitting bag at my parents' house, but fortunately I brought some yarn for swatching while I waited. (I'll post that later.)

Overall, the move went pretty smoothly. The new building is nice, and we toasted it Monday morning with some Mimosas.

Bluebonnet is having a Mystery Knitting (or Crocheting) Night in a couple of weeks. From what I understand, $30 gets you yarn, a pattern and dinner. You bring your own needles and/or hooks. Whether or not I attend will depend on my budget.

Finally, I feel compelled to share some links to horror stories about Austin businesses from the The Consumerist. Here is one from a local Walmart and one from Caliber Collision Center.

No comments: