Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Actually, I didn't have to ask my doctor about EC

When I was in college, I was a little more politically involved. I did some work with my school's FMLA chapter, and we worked to raise awareness of Emergency Contraception (EC), among other things. We talked about the importance of getting a prescription from your doctor ahead of time, as well as the push to get it available over the counter.

I guess I was a hypocrite, because I didn't get a prescription. I wasn't involved at a relationship at the time, so it wasn't a priority. But at least I was aware of it.

So when I was making my list of 101 goals in 1,001 days, it seemed liked a good thing to add. Number 40 on the list is to ask my doctor about getting an EC prescription.

Today I saw my family doctor and asked for a prescription. Imagine how embarrassed I was when my doctor told me that EC has become available over the counter. I don't need a prescription anymore, and somehow I missed the news.

To be fair, from what I have looked up, the switch happened in 2006. In 2006, I had my own problems. Politics and reproductive rights were the furthest things from my mind.

So my doctor said there is no medical reason for me to avoid taking EC if the need ever arises. I found several pharmacies in my area that carry EC, including the CVS where I currently fill all my prescriptions.

The good news is that I can cross number 40 off my list.

Number 41 on the list was to ask my doctor about the HPV Vaccine. At 28, I may have passed the cut off age. Also, my insurance probably doesn't cover it. He said that the vaccine is really aimed at the next generation of adolescent girls, around age 12-15, who are not sexually active yet. Still, I'm going to do a little more research before crossing number 41 off my list.

While I was in South Austin, I stopped by my parents house for a free meal to visit. While I was there, I talked about spinning and spinning wheels with my Mom, and she lent me some of her books. She actually pulled Color in Spinning off her shelf thinking it was something else, but I wanted to borrow it anyway. I'm always interested in color theory. The Ashford Book of Spinning has some good diagrams and explanations of the parts of a spinning wheel, and Spinning Designer Yarns has some interesting spinning techniques.

These books made me realize my bias towards color pictures. I'm less likely to notice a book if it doesn't have pretty pictures.

Now that I've had a taste of the wheel, I'm itching for my own. I'm not real sure where to start shopping. If you know any good resources for learning about the different wheels out there, drop me a line. There are so many brands, I'm not sure where to begin.

In the meantime, I've also been reading Getting Things Done, in hopes of organizing my brain and my life. The book is aimed at corporate executives, although supposedly anyone can use these principles. Ironically, my job is probably the most organized, least cluttered part of my life. It's everything else that needs to get under control.

Tonight, while in the bathtub, I read the part where David Allen recommends file folders for individual lists. He's aiming this at corporate professionals with laptops, PDAs, etc, and he isn't suggesting that they put this lists in folders on a computer? It seems like making more paper files is not a good way to start organizing your life.

Still, there is some good advice. I just don't think I need a label maker to implement his ideas.

Today was officially a day of rest for the Tour de Fleece. This is a shot of what I spun last night. It looks like I'll finish my tour goal with time to spare.

3 comments:

Noelle Noodle said...

Always nice to meet another bathtub reader :) I think color in spinning is probably one of the best crafting color theory books out there. Her other book Color Works that just recently came out is excellent too.

sarahspins said...

If you can wait until November, there's always Kid'n'Ewe in Bourne - lots of different vendors selling almost any brand you could want to buy, and you can try just about all of them out :)

As far as semi-local places to check out, Rosewood Yarns in Bourne carries Louet and Ashford, and Yarnorama carries Louet as well.. I think that Old Oaks Ranch carries Schacht (and maybe others, I'm not sure?).

There's also a really great blog post about choosing your first wheel here: http://www.abbysyarns.com/wordpress/?p=6

BerkeleyBecca said...

I like the Getting Things Done principles too, but some of his recommendations need some tweaking for someone with limited money and space. The advice like "buy the best, biggest file cabinet you can!" betrays something of a blind spot, I think.